- SIPADAN Island off Sabah is one of the world’s top diving spots.
- Caning is a common punishment under Malaysian law. The maximum number of strokes that can be ordered is 24.
- Women are never caned, nor are boys under the age of 10 or men over 50, except for rape.
- The Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur were the world’s tallest buildings from 1998-2004.
- The king cobra is the world’s longest venomous snake; the greatest number of king cobras in the world is found in Malaysia.
- According to a survey reported in 2010, Malaysians had the largest number of friends on Facebook, with an average of 233. The Japanese were the pickiest with only 29 friends.
- Many buildings in Malaysia have no 4th floor. They are replaced by ‘3A’ as the sound of four is similar to the sound of death in Chinese (si).